Monday, August 30, 2010

Concealer...

Concealer… We girls use them often….to hide some flaw that our foundation won’t cover.

I’ve never had a lot of problems with my skin, even as a teenager. But…every now and then my skin decides to gift me with a zit. And, the area under my eyes seems to get darker and darker, not to mention baggier. So…concealer is my friend.

We can hide a lot of imperfections….and not just with cosmetics. We all have our methods of covering them up. We often are quite good at putting on the mask, hiding….pretending. It’s an old strategy, it began in The Garden with a fig-leaf. (Gen.3:7)

The hiding is such a waste of energy. “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to Whom we must give account.”(Heb. 4:13) We are much better off to embrace the truth, respond to the guilty feeling by running TO Him instead of away.

Besides, “He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts…”, anyway. “There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed..” (Matt. 10:26)

We are believing a lie to think we can conceal any little thing from Him. Oh….we can conceal it from others. But there is absolutely no advantage in it. It changes nothing for the better, in fact, it may lead to our own heart believing the lie of the enemy and even becoming calloused, even worse…hiding God’s Face from us.

“…your iniquities have separated you from your God, your sins have hidden His Face from you..”(Isa.59:2) “There’s nothing wrong with God, the wrong is in you. Your wrongheaded lives caused the split between you and God. Your sins got between you so that He doesn’t hear.” (same passage, The Message)

Here is my goal…I want to get rid of the concealer. I want to feel no need to hide.

“Keep your servant from willful sins, may they not rule over me”(Ps. 19:12)

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.” (Ps. 19:14)

It’s a work in progress….a daily, moment by moment choice….throwing away the urge to conceal, embracing truth, even when it’s ugly….

…and running TO the One Who “..restores the joy of salvation…and grants me a willing spirit..”(Ps. 51:12)