Friday, August 13, 2010

Shield...

Shield….I’ve been wearing a raincoat a lot lately. It is my shield against falling drops of water. It keeps my clothes dry, therefore keeping me warm instead of chilled to the bone. I have a plastic shield I use in my microwave. I put it over the food to keep it from splattering. Shields…of water-proof material…of microwave safe plastic. What about the shield in this armor of God…

‘take the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.’ (Eph. 6:16) Don’t get off the point here…don’t zoom in on that faith word yet. (I’m not sure I can tackle that one!) We need to understand why we have a need for a shield, and what we use it for.

We are being told in this scripture that there are ‘flaming arrows’ from ‘the evil one’ …that we ARE in harm’s way, and we need a shield between us and these methods of attack. We have to have a way to put out these ‘flaming arrows’. (I have images of Calvary forts and Indians, on the western movies that often play in our living room.)The Indians’ flaming arrows may or may not have been real…but the ones our enemy uses are very real.

The wrong thoughts that pass thru my mind, but get caught and thrown out as I use my shield.
The opportunities to do what I know I should not…I use my shield of faith to turn them down.
The occasions when I want to lash out and return the attack..I raise my shield to protect myself, refusing to hurt another person unnecessarily.
The fear that plagues me…I raise up my shield to keep it from penetrating my heart.
The burning questions I struggle with, I raise up my shield to put out the fire of doubt and unbelief that my enemy would like to see steal my joy and destroy me.
All the ‘what if’s…I raise my shield to knock them down, remembering the promises of God.
I must on purpose raise up my shield. It’s up to me. It doesn’t raise itself.

The shield used in Biblical times was usually made of light wood covered with several layers of leather hides with a rim of brass. Some shields were covered in metal, making them heavier and harder to use for long periods of time. The wood was vulnerable to fire but lighter and easier to maneuver in battle. Leathers were kept rubbed with oil to protect them and help keep the surface smooth so that arrows or darts would not penetrate easily. ( anointed with oil ! )

Our shield is made of faith. That’s a really big word. The writer of Hebrews says it is ‘being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.’ (Heb. 11:1) My faith is not in my faith. My faith is in the God of the universe, the Creator of everything in my reality and beyond. HE, my friend, shields me from any flaming arrow my enemy hurls.
‘Thou O Lord, are a shield around me.’ (Ps. 3:3)