Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Personal Trainer....

Personal Trainer… a person who works one-on-one with a client to plan or implement an exercise or fitness regimen….

People hire them when they want to lose weight or change their body condition and they can’t seem to accomplish it by themselves for whatever reason. Maybe they don’t work at it every day as they need to. Maybe they don’t perform the exercise correctly, opting instead for an easier way that doesn’t really stretch the muscle much. (..that’s me, if there is an easier way, I will find it.)

Sometimes more weight needs to be added. Other times, the weight needs to stay the same and the endurance level needs to be increased. Or maybe raise the tilt on the treadmill, same pace, same distance or time…but more uphill.

I don’t like any of it. I am sure I would like the result.

I have a personal Trainer. I don’t pay Him. He offers Himself to me freely. I love the results He has accomplished in me. Never want to go back to the shape I was once in. But sometimes I want to quit and just stay in ‘this’ shape. He pushes me on.

He allows me a break now and then, a time to ‘rest in the shadow’ (Ps. 91:1) But He does not allow me to quit. Even more, He does not allow me to WANT to quit for very long. He ‘renews my strength’ and helps me to ‘run and not grow weary, walk and not faint.’ (Isa. 40:31 personalized by me)

I often say that I am old and tired. But ‘ He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind.’ (Isa. 40: 29-31 The Message)

I’m thankful for the faith muscles that I have. And I trust The Trainer when He adds a little weight, or increases the incline of the hill, or pushes me for another lap. He has shown to me that He knows what He’s doing.