Friday, August 13, 2010

Mirror...

Mirror…There are indeed many distorted mirrors, making us look taller and thinner, or wider, or strangely curved. A perfect clean mirror will reflect a perfect image of what stands before it. Often, we don’t like what we see…

What we call The Ten Commandments mirrors something to me that’s not pretty. When I look at that ‘thou shalt/thou shalt not’ list closely, I become keenly aware of how disfigured I am.

‘…through the law we become conscious of our sin.’ (Rom. 3:20)

Are you brave enough to look into that mirror with your eyes really open? We will start with a simple one. ‘Thou shalt not steal.’(Ex.20:15) There’s no thief reading this right? No bank robbers on the list, I’m sure.

The word translated steal is ‘ganab’ in the original language. It means to secretly bring, to obtain by stealth, the implication to deceive, to thieve literally or figuratively.

Think you’re innocent? So, you’re 100% honest on your tax forms? You have never passed on some unkind, untrue, or unnecessary remark, taking away someone’s good reputation. What about that item that was mis-priced, you knew it, but that young kid working as a salesclerk didn’t. What about the stuff you bring home from work, that stuff the company pays for, provides for you as you work there, and you take it home to provide for your family, saving yourself the cost of purchasing it yourself? Maybe you didn’t correct that person who thought it was you that did that great thing, you just kept quiet and let them think it. Dozens and dozens of things to list. This mirror shows my face. I’m guilty. Perhaps I’m the only one though…or maybe you’re not looking into this same mirror…maybe you’re looking into a distorted one. You know, one that makes you look taller and thinner. Better than you really do.

Think I’m being legalistic? I am. That is what law is…legal. God’s purpose in issuing law is served when we really begin to see how guilty we are of breaking them. Only then do we really see our predicament, and our great need of rescue.

When God looks, He sees all that stuff… unless I’m covered by His Son. Then He sees Jesus, the One and Only Perfect One.

Thank You Lord for Your amazing grace. I’m a thief.