Friday, August 13, 2010

Wear...

Wear…I have a bit of spring fever I guess. I’m ready to change out some boots for sandals and ready my wardrobe for warmer weather. What will I wear this spring? Add a new color when I replace some of last years stained t-shirts? Will I go with a trendy look? Worn-out ragged jeans and tattoo-inspired t-shirts? Or maybe a classic look with dark jeans and polo shirts? What will I wear….

Shallow huh? But be honest, you think about it too. Every time you are preparing to go somewhere the question looms. What to wear….

Planning ahead and being responsible are good qualities to cultivate. Being organized and prepared in every facet of life is a benefit. But in spite of all my organization, all the preparations and thinking ahead, if I am not wearing His righteousness, and His spiritual armor, I might as well be naked on a desert. In fact…until He rescued me, I was. ‘In a desert land He found her, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded her and cared for her and He guarded Her as the apple of His Eye.”(Deu.32:10 gender changed by me)

Now I am clothed in clothing I could not purchase. ‘…He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness..’(Isa.61:10) …’God made Him who had no sin to be sin for me…so that in Him I might become the righteousness of God.’ (2Cor.5:21 pronouns personalized by me)

Jesus said ‘..do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.’ (Luke 12:22,23) My priority must be His purposes, His Kingdom (‘seek His kingdom and all these things will be given to you’ v.31) I must be dressed and ready for HIS service.( ‘be dressed and ready, keep your lamps burning’ v.35)

So today…I ‘stand firm, with this belt of truth buckled around my waist..’(Eph. 6:14)… that He is sovereign, and that He chooses to value and love me. How can I not return His love and live every moment basking in it? How can I not clothe myself daily in Him, ’not by works of my righteousness, but according to His mercy…’ (Titus 3:5)

‘Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watches and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.’(Rev.16:15)

Thank You Lord Jesus, for paying my debt and not only covering my shame, but removing both the shame and guilt. Thank You that I am blessed in keeping watch, that ‘having been baptized into Christ, I have put on Christ.’ (Gal.3:27) and am no longer naked and ashamed, but clothed in Your garment of righteousness.