Friday, August 13, 2010

Personal...

Personal…My God is personal. (not remote) ‘…The Lord my God will go with me. He will never leave me. He will never forsake me.’ (Deut. 31:6 and Heb. 13:5) ‘You are near, O Lord..’ (Ps. 119:51) ‘..it is good for me to draw near to You, I have put my trust in You..’(Ps.73:28) Need some personal, reliable help? Where are you looking for it?

It’s hard to stop listing scriptures that tell how faithful He is, and how much help He offers. He is THE Friend of friends..The Wise Counselor. (Isa. 9:6) The narrative of scripture tells such a beautiful story of His love. From creation, to salvation….perfect self-sacrificing love. Why is it so difficult to grab hold of? Do we think it’s too good to be true? After all, most of us have learned the hard way what it is to be forsaken by someone we called friend. We’ve all been hurt by bad advice.

When we think of our Creator God in terms of what we know of human beings, comparing Him to us…we are making Him into an image. Our image. And He is not like us! ‘God is not a man that he should lie…or change His mind.. He does not speak and then not act. He does not promise and not fulfill.’ (Num. 23:19)

I tried personally to tend to my own behavior. I attempted to ’fix’ all the wrong things in myself. The wrong attitudes and bad behavior kept popping it’s ugly head up. ’..law (rule-keeping) made nothing perfect.’ (Heb. 7:19) Oh, I’m not ’fixed’ yet…it’s a work in progress. I am ‘being transformed by the renewing of my mind..’ (Rom. 12:2) ‘Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on…forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead…’ (Phil. 3:12,13,14)

While He is faithful, I am not always. I sometimes turn a deaf ear to His Whisper. I brush off His Hand, choosing my will over His. (Even though experience has taught me that He always, always, always, knows best !) But ‘..as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge. I will tell of all His deeds.’ (Ps. 73:28)

‘Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth. Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name….for great is your love toward me…’ (Ps. 86:11,13)

He never forces His will. It is a personal choice….ask Him for an undivided heart. Be honest. Completely… with yourself and with Him. Make it intimate…and personal.