Friday, August 13, 2010

Tangles...

Tangles… As a hairdresser, I deal with lots of tangles. Some hair is in really good condition and the tangles comb out easily. Some hair needs lots of conditioner and several minutes to soak before the tangles can be removed. Once in a while, I have to cut out a tangle. Some people, especially children, don’t keep their hair brushed. They brush the top layer, leaving the underneath to knot in tangles so twisted that it’s painful to remove them. Maintenance is vital….

Life gets tangled. It is just part of the human condition. There will always be maintenance because ‘all have sinned’ and sin ‘easily entangles us’. (Rom. 3:23 & Heb. 12:1)

Just like brushing hair to keep the tangles out, we must take personal responsibility to ‘walk in the Light’…to ‘confess our sins’. (1John 1:7,9) and ‘put off the old self, to be made new in the attitude of our minds’ (Eph. 4:22-24) ‘…stop thinking like children, …in your thinking, be adults…’(1 Cor. 14:20) I could go on and on with scripture that encourages and instructs us to ON PURPOSE ‘not give the devil a foothold’ to tangle up our life. (Eph. 4:27) Sounds like a daunting task. Impossible really. Believe me, I tried.

My 9 year old grand-daughter has long thick hair. She doesn’t brush it except right on the surface. As a result, it gets matted and tangled underneath. So her mother helps her, I help her. God knows my life is like her hair, matted and tangled underneath. I try to keep it smooth. But the best I can do is keep the surface tangle-free. If that.

So…He helps me. He has sent ‘…The Comforter…to guide me into all truth and show me things to come..’(1 John 16: 7, 13)

He ‘teaches me all things and reminds me of everything He has said…’ (John 14:26)

He ‘guarantees my inheritance..’(Eph. 1:14) ..that I will be ‘acceptable to God (tangle-free)…’( Rom. 15:16 ).

‘God made Him who had no sin (tangles) to be sin for me, so that I might become the righteousness (perfectly tangle-free) of God.’ (2 Cor. 5:21)

He is the very Presence of God within me, ( 2 Tim. 1:14)… helping to brush and keep out the tangles. ( Titus 3;5) It is a daily, hourly, every moment choice, to appropriate either His power or mine. Do you need help with your tangles?