Saturday, August 27, 2011

Storm...

Storm… Webster calls it a rushing violent wind. A violent assault on a fortified place.

As I sit and watch a hurricane headed toward the east coast of the United States, threatening New York City, I wonder why we convince ourselves that we are fortified against a breeze, much less a storm.

It’s a lie.

“You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above..”(the words of Jesus as recorded in John 19:11)

We have no power that is not granted to us by The Hand that controls the nature He created.

I fully understand there is a science of air flow, pressures, cold and hot atmospheres….all of these things contribute to how these storms form and move. But that does not change the fact that it is God's science, He is The Scientist !

“For He spoke and stirred up a tempest that lifted high the waves.
They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths; in their peril their courage melted away.
They reeled and staggered like drunken men; they were at their wits' end.
Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble…..” (Psalm 107:25-28)

Then...THEN they cried out to Him. Isn't that always the way it is with us?

Did He send this hurricane? Good question.

I know one thing without question. He can stop or control it. He speaks and it is. Period.

Will He? Obviously not. It is happening.

What will the response be?

It is during times of threat beyond our capacity to control that we historically turn to Him.

My prayer is for safety, especially for those I love. But I also pray that some person who has never really turned to Him, never felt a real need for Him…would seek Him in a new, more real, more honest, and more complete way than ever before.

“ You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”(Jeremiah 29:13)


I pray that this storm will be used by God to prepare people for a new beginning, with HIM at the center. When He is center, the eye of any storm has no power to threaten us, can never take away the calm and peace of a heart inhabited by His Spirit.

Hallelujah.