Thursday, August 11, 2011

Regret...

Regret… Remember as a child, while playing some game, you could call for a ‘do-over’ when something went wrong? Wouldn’t it be great if we could ‘do-over’ those things in our adult lives that we regret?

I’m reflecting on the first 8 verses of the longest chapter in the Bible, Psalm 119. Here it is from The Message version. I have personalized it.

“I am blessed when I stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by GOD. I am blessed when I follow His directions, doing my best to find Him.
That's right--not going off on my own; but walking straight along the road He set.

You, GOD, prescribed the right way to live; now You expect us to live it.

Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course You set; Then I'd never have any regrets in comparing my life with Your counsel.

I thank You for speaking straight from Your heart; I learn the pattern of Your righteous ways.

I'm going to do what You tell me to do; don't ever walk off and leave me.”


There are many things I regret. A number of them are not things I did that I wish I had not…but things I did not do, things I did poorly, effort I did not put forth.

Some of the things I regret are the impulses and reactions that were birthed out of my own fear and insecurity. My lack of faith…

Living without regret is only possible one way…keeping our steps on the course that is set…walking in ‘The Way’…comparing our lives to His.

It is just simply fact… God designed. God created. Trying to manipulate what He has engineered and use it in a way He never intended just causes problems. And regret.

Each morning, I make an effort to submit my will to His. Again. ‘I’m going to do what YOU tell me to do….’

I am so encouraged to find the rest of that sentence this morning….’don’t ever walk off and leave me.’ And I am comforted even more to remember the very words of my Savior, Jesus the Christ….

“…you can be sure that I am always with you, to the very end." (Matt.28:20)

He IS doing it over…..“You have started living a new life. It is being made new so that what you know has the Creator's likeness.” (Col 3:10)

Hallelujah.