Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Necessessity..

Necessessity…… What is on your list of necessary things? Vehicle? Computer? Cell phone?

What IS necessary really? Certainly not those things.

We have to have food. And water.

I’ve been praying for rain for a couple weeks, ending my request with ‘in Your time’. I know that God knows how long it has been since raindrops have fallen on my head. (…and on my yard.)

Perhaps I was being a bit pious when I added that phrase to my prayer. I did not expect Him to wait this long. I expected a ‘yes’ to my prayer by now… Since it has not come, I struggle now with really submitting to His time.

Last night, as I held the water hose in my hand, pouring out water onto parched plants and flowers, I was complaining again to God about my desire for water to fall from the sky. My complaint was answered with ‘…look how available water is to you !’

No, He hasn’t sent rain yet, but He has provided the necessary water for me, and even an abundance to pour out on plants that aren’t necessary… flowers aren’t the food that goes on my table. (…and I also have more than the necessary food supply required.)

My necessity of water is readily available. But in this relatively small matter, my faith is challenged and stretched. How sad… I hear Jesus’ words in Luke 12…

“Connie, consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you Connie, O you of little faith!” (personalized by me, FOR me)



“He split the rocks in the desert and gave them water as abundant as the seas;
He brought streams out of a rocky crag and made water flow down like rivers.
But they continued to sin against Him, rebelling in the desert against the Most High.
They willfully put God to the test by demanding the food they craved. They spoke against God saying, "Can God put food on a table in the desert?” (Ps. 78: 15-19NIrV)



Lord forgive me for such mumbling and complaining. I must sound just like your people in the wilderness with Moses. And thank You for the abundance of water and food that are so readily available to me.