Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lifestyle...




Lifestyle… I recall they made a television show about the lifestyles of the ‘rich and famous’….

I’m not rich and famous, so I don’t have a lifestyle like was portrayed on that show. Our house is fairly small and quite plain. But it is ours. We don’t have those fancy cars, but ours are dependable and comfortable.

Then again, what is the measuring stick for fancy? Pricetag? Seems in our culture, we measure most everything by it’s price tag…

I am not famous, then again, I am important to the God of the universe, so important that He came down to rescue me.

I am not rich, then again, I have never known hunger, never been without clothing, never without a home and safe transportation.

Maybe I am rich and famous after all….



This morning, as I continue to reflect on Psalm 119, I am drawn to verse 59.

“I have thought about the way I live……”

It is a good thing to honestly reflect on the way we live.

Honestly….oh boy, that’s the kicker. It is not easy to be honest with ourselves, it is tempting and so easy to rationalize our wrong attitudes and decisions.

After all, our own heart will trick us….scripture warns that it is deceitful. (Jer.17:9) (…so ‘following your heart’ isn’t such a good idea always!)

How do I live?

Do I put others needs before my own? Whose rules of engagement do I follow? Do I make up the rules to suit myself, making them up as I go, to benefit me?

Who/what determines how I use the money I have? Do I spend my money to bless others or only myself? Do I use my money to manipulate? Do I put my own price tags on? Do I use my money in effort to pay off my other bad behavior?


“….I have decided to follow your covenant laws.” (Ps.119:59b)

Lord God help me to let You be the boss today. YOU be the Commander in chief, YOU be the decision maker, and help me to bend my stubborn prideful will to Yours. Your way is always right and best. I have learned that so painfully, and forget it so easily….