Sunday, August 28, 2011

Do something....

Do something… Ever be in some life situation where you feel like somebody just needs to DO something? Waiting is not one of my virtues, I don’t do it easily.

Waiting while a hurricane named Irene crept up the east coast toward where our kids live was not an easy wait. But wait we did, and I couldn’t do a single thing. Even though my mind was screaming ‘Do something!!!’….I could not. Doing something is not always the right thing. Sometimes waiting IS the thing to 'do'.

There have been times that I answered that screaming from within to ‘do something’…only to wish I HAD just waited. The ‘something’ that I did….it was the wrong thing.

I complain to God quite often about his in-action. I want him to ‘DO something!!’

I want Him to do something about so many things.

I want Him to fix what I messed up.
I want Him to intervene in wrong behavior.
I want Him to stop corruption.
I want Him to withhold blessings from people I consider not worthy.
I want Him to punish those I judge guilty.
I want Him to make my life easier.

And as I sit this morning reflecting on Psalm 119 again, and I type out those words, I am so thankful that He isn’t at my command. I’d just mess some more stuff up and make my life far from easier. He is God. And I am not.


“Make sure that everything goes well with me….Help me to understand what is right….
LORD, it's time for you to act. People are breaking your law……I love your commands…I consider all of your rules to be right. So I hate every path that sinners take….”
(Psalm 119:22-28)

I identify with the Psalmist…. ‘me, me, me..’

I again and again go to Him to ask that everything go right with me. Usually after I have failed at taking care of it myself. I pray the hardest when it is a matter I am powerless to ‘do something’ about.

I too consider His rules to be right. He is the Creator. He engineered, designed, and produced all that is reality to me. Even my self.

I too detest the path of sin. I know it from choosing it. I learned from experience that He commands for very good reasons.

And I too say to Him, “Lord, ‘do something!!’…people are breaking Your law !!”


And I find myself so thankful that He waits for HIS time and only then does He ‘do something’.

I can be assured that it will be the best time and the best thing.