Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hell.....

Hell….it’s a hot topic. (Pun intended.)

There seems to be a stir in the Christian community about the reality of hell. There have been books written, some prominent teachers speaking against it’s reality. I don’t know why we are so shocked….most of us have lived our lives like it doesn’t exist….

The reality of hell I suppose is important, yet I don’t spend a lot of time trying to convince people of it, and even less personal time thinking about it. But, there was a long period of my life that I did, and I considered it just the less attractive of the two choice.

There was a time that heaven didn’t lure me. I didn’t really yearn to live there eternally. God was there. And He was scary.

But the devil was in hell, and he was scarier. Plus….it was hot and painful there. (I pause to praise Him right now, thank You Lord, for that is no longer true.)

I don’t think about hell much now, and I realize that I don’t try to convince folks they need to find ‘the way’ to stay out of it. (…and there is only one way.)

I do think about our Creator Father a lot, and I do try to convince folks to come to know Him. Not just an ‘out’ for hell, but because of Who He is. He is I AM…

Maybe I need to revisit my thoughts about hell. Maybe people need to be freshly warned about its reality and finality.

Jesus spoke of hell many times. “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matt. 10:28) Obviously, it is real, and it is NOT good, it is NOT where He will be…..

For me, that is all I need to know, I don’t want a closer look, don’t really care for more information…. Just thankful for a way of escape. (Again, I pause to praise Him and thank Him for salvation…)

Then again, I’ve already heard many a hell-fire-and-brimstone sermon in my youth. Maybe I would never love my Father as I do, had I not been forced to look into the reality of the fires of hell.

“Fear-of-GOD is a school in skilled living-- first you learn humility, then you experience glory.”(Prov. 15:33 The Message) "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”(Prov. 9:10) Fear kept me from doing many unwise things, and brought about true knowledge of and love for The Holy One.

What about you? What do you know about our God? Where do you want to live out eternity? Do you really want to live in His Presence when this realm of life is over? Or do you just not like the other choice? If that be the case, you have chosen…God help you.

There have always been two choices…good and evil. And God has always allowed us to choose. “…as for me …..I will serve the LORD." (Josh. 24:15 personalized by me)

Both choices are very real. They will one day be final. Eternally….