Friday, August 12, 2011

Pure...

Pure…Webster says unmixed. Separated from every other thing…

What is pure….

and more importantly, who is pure? Are you?…..


I tried. And although I don’t have some of the stains of impurity that somebody else may have, there are stains.

The second section of 8 verses in Psalm 119 address the issue of personal purity.

“How can a young person keep his life pure?….By living in keeping with Your word.

I trust in You with all my heart. Don't let me wander away from Your commands. I have hidden Your word in my heart so that I won't sin against You.

LORD, I give praise to You. Teach me Your orders. With my lips I talk about all of the decisions You have made.

Following Your covenant laws gives me joy just as great riches give joy to others.

I spend time thinking about Your rules. I consider how You want me to live.
I take delight in Your orders. I won't fail to obey Your word.”
(Psalm 119:9-16NIrV)

Purity is important to God. He calls us to be pure. And at the same time, He knows that since the catastrophe of the garden, it is impossible. Impossible without His intervention.

ONLY by His Word can a young person (OR an old person) have a pure life. Only by knowing WHAT He has said can we act on it and DO what He has said.

There is power in the Words uttered from His Mouth, power in the Word that is so readily available to us in written form. But it won’t leap off the page by itself. We still have that same liberty of choosing.

“Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"? (Proverbs 20:9)

Certainly not me.

Praise God that He also said, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1John 1:9)


Choose today to spend time thinking about what He has said