Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankful 12...

I am thankful for healing.


Some time back, while slicing tomatoes, I sliced a piece of my thumb off.  Literally. 

There was nothing to do except stop the bleeding and wait for new skin to grow over the raw flesh. I protected it, I attended it, did everything I could do to avoid further problems....infection or breaking the wound open again...

Today, by careful inspection, it is detectable that my thumb is misshapen in that place. Consequences of the injury.  (You could see it if I pointed it out to you.)

Today, that thumb feels different.  Consequences of the injury.  (You can't see that, and neither can I....but I am always aware of it.) 



I am thankful that my body can heal.  And even though there are consequences that remain from injuries, bodies can be restored. Some consequences are more obvious than others, some hinder more than others.....damage may remain, but healing is possible.  Restoration is possible.






More than physical healing, I am thankful for spiritual healing.  Every single one of us need it....not just me.

Each of us have a spiritual disease.  Simply put, it is sin.

Sin has caused pain and injury..it has damaged relationships. It cuts and steals away vital parts of our soul.  It makes our spirits bleed and robs us of joy, even life.



You can't be perfect. I don't care who you are or how strong willed you are, you can't be perfect. (And let's be clear....the standard of perfection is God.  Not anyone God granted life to...)

So, that leaves us all in a predicament.  We have the disease.  We are injured.  Broken.

The consequences are often visible....often not. The damage sin wreaks  leaves us vulnerable to further pain and injury. 

Our wounds break open again. Again and again we tend that same wound, trying to bring about healing, trying to fix it, only to have it manifest in another area. 

You can't heal yourself of sin.

But there is One Who can.  He went to such great length to make healing available. And I am so very thankful.

 I am thankful for my healing.  And for yours...



(...and by the way, don't slice tomatoes on a mandoline slicer without the vegetable gaurd.....)