Monday, March 1, 2010

Power

Power.. Ours goes off a lot, especially when it rains. It was off for 13 days in 2000 when we had “The Ice Storm” . We miss the power when it goes off. We have learned to depend on it.

You can’t miss what you never know, but we all ‘know’ electricity. All our ‘stuff’ works by its power. There are more and more ways, every year, to make it useful, helping us in so many ways to get done what needs to be done….quicker and easier, more efficiently.

There are very few people who refuse the electrical power available to them. I can think of only the Amish religious groups who don’t use it. Most people think of it as an absolute necessity.

The power of God available to me thru the Holy Spirit is my absolute necessity. (He never goes off by the way….) His power in my life helps me in many ways, and I’ve learned to depend on Him. I’ve only begun to realize the power available thru His Presence within me. I know what it is to live without His power….I experienced that much longer than 13 days!

“….having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof…”(2 Tim. 3:5)

That was me. I had the form. You would find me in the church building at every service, I followed all the traditions, I suppose I looked pretty good from the outside, at least part of the time anyway. Thank God, because of my heritage, I had knowledge of the truth. (vs.7) I never have led a perfect life, but neither have I been too badly ‘led away with divers lusts.’(vs.6) …..(mostly because of fear, but hey…‘fear is the beginning of wisdom’ !!) My power, however, was only my willpower…and it went off a LOT!!

Not only is the Holy Spirit now the power-source for my life, He is The Holy Reminder. ‘…the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send … will remind you of everything I have said to you.’ (John 14:26)

Please don’t miss this…you can’t be reminded of what you never heard in the first place. Make it your business to know what He has said. You can’t fight the enemy with The Spirit’s Sword, if you don’t have it.

Jesus Himself fought with ‘it is written..’. How arrogant are we to think we can defeat the enemy otherwise. Don’t be deceived, we are powerless against the enemy. And he is vicious… he ‘prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.’ (1Peter 5:8)

What God has said to His people down thru the ages…what He has said thru the Person of Jesus Christ…it’s recorded. It’s available to you. We call it a Bible. It’s not just paper and ink…it is communication ‘..the Word of God, living and active….it will judge the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.’ (Heb. 4:12)

And from your heart of hearts…if you are truly open to Him, listening for what HE says and not for what you WANT Him to say…He ‘will teach you all things…’ (John 14:26)

He continues to teach me better listening skills…and how to plug in to The Power ~~!!