Thursday, March 11, 2010

Familiar

Familiar… I find security in ‘the same ole’ same ole’…I like to move my furniture around, but I don’t want to move it to another house. I like my nest. I like the memories attached to it. I like remembering when my grand-daughters and I planted the bulbs that are blooming bright yellow all over my yard this morning…

But…some of ‘the same ole’ stuff sure gets old….the tedious daily tasks that are not ‘fun’….the stress of days filled with problems to solve, issues to resolve, people to deal with.

As I ready to meet another day, I was seeking God about some of those things, asking Him things like, ‘Where do I ________? What does_______? How should I _____ __________? Who will _________?’

‘By an act of faith, Abraham said yes to God’s call to travel to an unknown place that would become his home. When he left he had no idea where he was going….Abraham did it by keeping his eye on an unseen city with real, eternal foundations…the city designed and built by God.’ (Hebrews 11:8.10The Message)

I can only guess at how I’d have reacted to such a call. Something along the lines of .. “WHAT?!!” “WHERE?!!” and “WHY?!??” Leaving everything familiar is beyond my grasp of thought. No walking in the dark to the bathroom…no knowing the dry path to walk across the wet yard…not having ‘my own bed’ to sleep in at night…no favorite place to sit and meditate….I could name hundreds. What would you miss the most?

The past is familiar…I’ve been there. The present is familiar…I am here. The future is far from familiar….as yet…. but it is secure. I will be safe there. “I have been with you wherever you have gone…” (1Ch. 17:8) “ ..surely I am with you always…”(Matt.28:20)

God does not ask great things of me….I’m not called to Africa or China. He calls me to the familiar places and familiar things of my ‘same ole’ life. And even though I am guilty of grumbling about it…I am thankful.