Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ask

Ask.. I remember when my sons were small, they would point and grunt. In order for them to learn language, I insisted that they speak. I made them say what it was they wanted. I made them ask, and they learned to communicate…

I wonder if we don’t point and grunt to God. Two times this morning in my reading, I have come to the issue of articulating our desires to God in prayer. Why should it matter if we actually articulate into words, whether spoken, written, or mental? Why go to that extent, when God knows everything already? Why make my child say the word ‘water’…when it was obvious to me he was thirsty?

I am convinced that God wants me to tell Him specifically what my issue is. When I name it, I then go on to ask Him to ‘fix’ it. In my asking, it is ME who learns what the issue really and truly is. ALL of the issue…the deep dark places of it…and sometimes it’s not pretty

So often when (and IF) I honestly and openly go to God with things, going thru this proceess…I discover things in my own heart that I didn’t realize were there…and should NOT be there. Often, I end up with an entirely different agenda in prayer ! Because He instructed me to say what it was I wanted… I learned to communicate TO Him…and in turn, and because of that, I am blessed to have communication WITH Him.

My sons would point to soda. They needed water or milk. I often point to things when in fact, those things are not best. I ask that God use me…then I complain about the difficult situation I’m in, and want an escape. My sons pointed to cookies, and they needed food that would provide nutrients for their growing bodies and sustain longer than a sugar rush. I point to a feel good place of ministry, and He hands me an assignment that makes me grow faith muscles.

“I cry out loudly to God…I spill out all my complaints before Him, and spell out my troubles in detail…” ( Ps. 142:2 The Message)

“Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jer. 33:3 NIV)

It’s not a drive thru window…we don’t place our order with God. There’s no ‘have it your way’ slogan. But I can trust Him enough to spill out the entire truth of my heart to Him, revealing it to Him AND to myself….knowing it is safe to do so. He loves me enough to look at all the ugly with me, and He is mighty enough to make it into something beautiful. I didn’t even know some of that stuff was there…even though it was no surprise to Him.

Yes indeed…God did know, always knows. But I do not. It is in communication with Him that I learn.