Friday, March 19, 2010

Wrath

Wrath… The Bible mentions ‘the wrath of God’ often. I don’t often use the word ‘wrath’. When I do, I have in mind uncontrolled anger….What is wrath in your mind?

“He that believeth on the Son has everlasting life, and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.’ (John 3:36 KJV )

After reading that verse, what image do you have of our God? An angry, out-of-control, fit-throwing Deity, lashing out at the very man He created because of their disobeying His directions?

I confess, that was once my image. And it was idolatry, for that is indeed another god…it is not the one and only true God.

God has no problem with self-control. In The Person of Jesus Christ, He allowed much ridicule and suffering, even to innocent death on a Roman cross. I would have lost my self-control long before Calvary’s hill.

In this passage, the word that is translated ‘wrath’ is ‘orge’. As with all words, it has a wide meaning, some that broadened my view as to what is involved other than anger.

Desire
Movement or agitation of the soul
Impulse
Indignation
Violent passion

I believe with no doubt, that there will be consequences of rejecting God’s Son. But it won’t be because God is angry and wants revenge. It will be because that has been our choice. Even in our disbelief, God’s desire and agitation of His heart is still that we would believe and accept Him in obedient faith. ‘The Lord ….is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.’(2 Peter 3:9 KJV)

I also believe with no doubt that He will eternally reject those who have rejected Him. And it will be without the life that He offers….the everlasting life that is ours when we believe on the Son….(believe…another word to consider, ‘the devils believe, and tremble’ James 2:19 it must mean more than accepting as fact… )

To enter into the next realm without the life God provides….that is an option. But I’ll choose life. I choose Jesus. I think those who reject Him have no idea what they are choosing…death instead of life. Eternally….. .