Saturday, March 20, 2010

Mercy

Mercy… That is my by-word. Perhaps I should break that habit, after looking closer at the word, I may be using it ‘in vain’….

In vain…what is that ? A quick word study shows me that it’s ‘worthless’or ‘useless’. I certain do not want to use the word ‘mercy’ in such a way that it diminishes the concept of mercy in any way…I don’t want mercy to ever be portrayed ‘in vain’.

‘chanan’ is a word that is used 75 times in the Bible. In the King James Version of our Bible, sixteen of those times, it is translated ‘mercy’, twelve times it is translated ‘merciful’ It means to bend or stoop in kindness to an inferior, to favor, to have pity on…

Mercy is important…profoundly important. There are many times when I am faced with situations and circumstances that are beyond my ability to understand.

I don’t know why young women suffer cancer…or ANYone….and why do they enjoy renewed health, and suffer yet again. Why do children suffer disease? Why do babies have to suffer and die? Worse still, why do they have to live suffering?

Why do people who love and cherish children have inability to have children of their own, while others have child after child only to neglect and ignore them?

Why do good people die in tragic accidents, absolutely no fault of their own?

Why do spouses decide to reject their vows and turn their backs on commitments? Why do parents reject their own offspring, or even worse….mistreat and abuse them?

I don’t know. And often, I don’t know how to even pray about it. I wouldn’t know how to give my orders to God even if that were the way to approach Him. But I KNOW that He sees, that He cares, and that He can bring blessing from ALL suffering when we put both the suffering and ourselves in His capable Hand. “..ALL things word for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” (Romans8:28NIV)

“….we do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.” (Romans 8:26,27 NIV)

Praise God we who love Him and have been called are not left alone and to our own devices. ‘I’m absolutely convinced that nothing…nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable…absolutely nothing can get between me and God’s love because of the way that Jesus my Master has embraced me.’ (Rom. 8:38,39 The Message personalized by me)

Lord God open the floodgates of Your mercy to those who need You so desperately right now.... Hallelujah…