Monday, May 31, 2010

Freedom

Freedom… It cost…… Somebody.

Today is what is called ‘Memorial Day’ in America. A day to remember the sacrifices that made possible the freedoms we enjoy. Freedom is costly.

I haven’t paid any of that price. But many did, and do at this very moment.

I am so grateful.

I do not minimize these blessings. Yet there is another freedom I cherish even more.

“…if the Son sets you free…you will be free indeed.” (Jesus, speaking in John 8:36)

I am proud and thankful to be an American, I cherish the freedoms I have enjoyed my entire life, and want them guarded. Yet they can’t compare with the freedom given me by my Lord Jesus the Christ.

I wonder that we can’t really appreciate the freedom of America, we’ve never known anything else.

But I have known the bondage of sin and law-keeping. I know the difference of being set free.

How I pray that I never experience a difference in my freedom as an American.

God help us as ‘ your people, called by Your Name, to humble ourselves and pray and seek Your face and turn from our wicked ways….then You will hear from heaven and will forgive our sin and will heal our land.’ ( 2 Ch. 7:14 personalized by me)