Thursday, May 13, 2010

Aroma

Aroma… just a scent, a smell….a little whiff of a fragrance. Can stir all sorts of sensations up can’t it? I walked into a store yesterday and smelled strawberries…

Can you guess what I had for breakfast? The power of smell is amazing to me. An aroma can’t be seen but it can sure invoke some power!! Make me hungry…make me ill. Make me sleepy….or refresh and awaken. Soothing or invigorating.

What smells good to me might not smell nice to you. I can’t fathom that anyone would not love strawberries…but some people don’t.

“We are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.” (2 Cor. 2:15)

I want to be the aroma of Christ, don’t you? But we need to know that that won’t smell good to everybody. To those who are perishing, it may have a stench.

The message of Christ is life. But to those who refuse it, it is death…. ‘for the wages of sin is death…the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.’ (Rom. 6:23)

“To the one, we are the smell of death: to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity..like men sent from God.” (2 Cor. 6:16-17)

The message of Christ is the sweetest of any aroma. I can’t fathom that anyone would not be drawn to it. But some are not.

That does not negate my role…I am to BE the aroma of Christ…in whatever place I am…whatever role I play.

It is not what I do..but what He may do through me…not on what I am capable of, but what He is capable of accomplishing through me, in spite of my weaknesses. I can do nothing out of my own merit….but ‘I can do everything through Him Who gives me strength’ (Phil. 4:13)

I want to smell like Him. And I pray that that scent will be pleasant to everyone around me…. and make them want Jesus.

He is so good.