Friday, May 21, 2010

Changes

Changes… I remember choosing that name for the salon. Now, I often think about the impact of a name, and marvel at how many changes have come to pass…

Oh, we’ve changed a lot of hair styles and hair colors. We joke that we all need to change up our hair every now and again. But the changes in the lives of those of us who spend our days there…and the changes that happen in the clients we become so close to…those are the changes that matter.

I am so far from perfect. So very far. But I testify that I am changed. I still struggle against my flesh and against the lies and traps of our enemy. I still make wrong choices, behave in wrong ways. But when I do, I want to feel the prick of The Holy Spirit and hear His reprimand…and I want to respond in obedience. He is always right. Always.

Everything changes. A look in the mirror will confirm that fact. Things droop and slide, grow in strange formations, bulging here and there…hair thins and looses it’s color. (that is job security for me..) All of the physical changes. Often not for the better.

But what about the other part of us? As the wrinkles form on our faces, do we have corresponding wrinkles of soul? Or do we find that spiritual place within us becoming smoother, more at peace, and wiser? God forbid that our spirits should wither like our bodies do !

I sell services that fight against the signs of our aging. My trade involves hiding and camouflaging the evidence of age. But my mission and ministry is to make people aware of the cure for our disease, the remedy for the slow death that we are all experiencing. (..for the moment life was conceived, the process of death is inevitable…)

I want to look as good as I can look, and I want that for you too. But far beyond that, I want you to know the assurance that I know… ‘Listen, I tell you a mystery: we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed…’ (1 Cor. 15:51)

You can be the cutest, most beautiful or most handsome person around. But ‘ I declare to you, brothers, (and sisters), that flesh and blood can not inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.’ (1 Cor. 15:50)

Changing your hair won’t fix what is wrong with all of us. Changing the natural is just a temporary fix. But God can make changes that are permanent. Permanently permanent. And He wants to. But you get to choose. He give you that right and will not take it from you.

“In the beginning You laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your Hands. They will perish, but You remain…Your years will never end. The children of Your servants will live in Your Presence…”(Ps. 102:25-28)


He is the only thing that does not change.