Thursday, May 20, 2010

Work

Work… Warning !! Grouchy alert….

It is raining as I sit here this morning for my quiet time. How I’d love to just stay here today…read and listen to it.

My sweet husband and I were wishing for rain yesterday as he helped me put out petunias in my flowerbeds. Our garden needed some fresh moisture too. This morning, the Lord has granted us rain.

We work in this family. My husband works his job, then comes home and works till dark on chores here at home. I work a job, then come home and prepare meals, though now only for the two of us. Our sons work. Then they do other activities. One will fish every spare moment. One will play a guitar with every free second he has.

Where did the notion come from that people are not required to provide for themselves?

“By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.” (Gen. 3:19)

I love the street language of The Message…
“ Don’t you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.” And now we’re getting reports that a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings are taking advantage of you. This must not be tolerated. We command them to get to work immediately--no excuses, no arguments--and earn their own keep. Friends, don’t slack off in doing your duty. If anyone refuses to obey our clear command written in this letter, don’t let him get by with it. Point out such a person and refuse to subsidize his freeloading. Maybe then he’ll think twice.” (2 Thes.10-14 The Message)
I do have compassion on those who are in need. I know there are situations where people are unable to work. Yet so often, people who are ‘unable’ to work, are ‘able’ to do a lot of other things ! And simply choosing to be idle is choosing to have an idle mind…and a mind not employed in good, will likely be doing evil. ( ever hear that old saying, idleness is the devil’s workshop?…)

Sigh… Lord, help my grouchiness and unforgiving spirit. I thank You Father that I am able to work. Thank You that I do have a job and a great workplace. Thank You that You have provided for all my needs, given in abundance, not just bare necessities… and thank You that you have even empowered me to help others.
And thank You for the rain.