Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Adventure

Adventure… to risk, dare, chance…. a bold undertaking, staked upon unforeseen events, of which one has no direction…

When our boys were small and we loaded up in the car to go on a trip, they began asking questions. You know the kind… ‘ where are we going?’… ‘why?’… ‘where are we now?’… ‘when are we going to be there?’ My reply became ‘think of it as an adventure.’

Those who know me best know how ridiculous that really is. I am not very adventurous. I like ordinary. Familiar.

But God is adventurous. And He has said ‘Follow Me.’ (some twenty times in the New Testament)

Following Jesus is simple. Yet very demanding. Certainly adventurous. Never was there a more bold undertaking than stepping out of the glory of heaven into the flesh of humanity, knowing the death that loomed there. He has walked this road, lived this life, and ‘has been tempted in every way, just as we are, yet without sin.’ (Heb. 4:15)

And He says ‘Follow Me.’

And I ask ‘where are we going’…. and ‘why?’….

‘Come, follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.’ (Mat. 8:22) He asks me to follow Him above family approval, financial security, or any other condition I might set. He demands complete loyalty. He is first. Period. Nothing is to be placed over a total commitment to Him.

That is tough.

But experience has taught me that when He calls me, He equips me. He secures me. He provides for my needs.

Come on the adventure…. Follow Him !!