Monday, May 3, 2010

Enough

Enough.. What is enough? When is enough, enough? Is there such thing as enough? Who gets to decide? …

Webster says that enough is that which is adequate to the wants. A sufficiency. That which is equal to the powers of abilities.

I am thankful that God doesn’t call enough enough like I do. He has been so very patient with me for so many years. He has done such work in me, and continues to do so. He didn’t throw up His Hands like I am prone to do. “ I have had enough, Lord” (Elijah in 1 Kings 19:4)

However, I sometimes seem to hear Him say, as He did to Moses, “That is enough, do not speak to Me anymore about this matter” (Deu. 3:26) When God says something, He means it. When He answers my prayer, He has answered. And I must accept His answer.

When I have had enough… that which is equal to my power and ability, He is sufficient. “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in (your) weakness.”(2 Cor. 12:9) “I can do everything through Him Who gives me strength.”(Phil.4:13)

I wonder that perhaps enough is not about a moment in time. Perhaps it isn’t about a requirement to be fulfilled. It is about content. “..you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans do…” (1 Peter 4:3)…. “ You’ve already put in your time in that God-ignorant way of life, partying night after night, a drunken and profligate life. Now it’s time to be done with it for good.”(Peter 4:3 The Message)


“You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” (Hag. 1:6)

“You have made your way around this hill country long enough….” (Deut. 2:3) “..the Lord your god has blessed you in all the work of your hands…He has watched over your journey…you have not lacked for any thing…” (vs.7)

“I know that You can do all things..no plan of Yours can be thwarted.”(Job 42:2)

He is Elohim, Mighty Creator God, Jehovah Jireh, the God Who provides, and Yahweh Shammah, the God Who is there….

That is, and will always be…. enough.