Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Temple..

Temple… I have seen pictures of temples, read about temples…but a temple is not ordinary in our culture, so it takes effort to think about it. “You are the temple of God” Paul told the Corinthians, (1 Cor. 3:16)

All those who are disciples of Jesus Christ are temples of God. The Old Testament has many object lessons for us about this temple language. Solomon built a temple that had been long in coming. His Father began the project with the planning and gathering of materials to be used. “Then Solomon began to build the house of the Lord..”(2 Chron. 3:1)

Every single part of the temple has meaning, but recently, God called my attention to the Most Holy Place, the place where the Presence of God would come.

“Solomon built the Most Holy Place….and overlaid the inside with ..fine gold.” (vs.8)

When I read this, the accuser asked me where the gold was in my heart. (He won’t be able to do that always…(Rev. 12:10) He got me thinking and searching, sorrowful that there was none that I saw..

Then I found another altar, the Tabernacle that was the first one, the temporary, portable one, the one where God manifested Himself to the wandering Hebrews in the wilderness.

The structure was put together in great detail by Divine instructions. There would be sacrifices, and even the manner in which that was done was stipulated. “Make all the utensils….pots to remove the ashes…” (Ex. 27:3)

Ashes !! Imagine ashes being anywhere around anything overlaid in gold. Disgusting ! We have a wood stove, I know about ashes. The killing of animals and dealing with blood…that, I’ve thought about. Not the ashes though…

And then I realized…I’ve brought all these needless sacrifices into the altar of my heart, and they are just burned up ! Nothing I can ’DO’ is of any consequence to remove my guilt. The only sacrifice I need offer is a ’sacrifice of praise, the fruit of lips that confess His Name’ (Heb. 13:15)

That doesn’t mean I no longer ’DO’ good things…’do not forget to do good and to share with others’ (vs.16) ..but all those things are to be done in praise of Him and what He has accomplished in me. Else….they are just burned to ash…creating a black veil that keeps me from seeing the overlay of gold on the altar of my heart…put there by Jesus Christ when He cleansed this temple and made me fit for His Presence.

It is finished.(John 19:30)

“There is no longer any sacrifice for sin.”(Heb. 10:18)

‘My body is a temple of the holy Spirit…I am not my own, I was bought at a price. Therefore, I will honor God…”(1Cor. 6:20 personalized by me)