Sunday, April 11, 2010

Braced

Braced.. My wrists have braces on them. I’ve done such repetitive motion for so many years, there’s some wear and tear going on in there, they get tired, weak, and ache…and they need support and rest…thus, the braces.

I’ve talked to God about them, thought He might be willing to just zap them. And He has the power…but for now, I believe He just wants me to rest them when I can. So, I got two braces to wear when I’m sleeping or not working at something. The braces keep them from moving much, forcing me to allow those muscles etc. to be still and rest.

I thought about Moses and his tired old arms. Moses had these thousands of people who looked to him for leadership in every matter. Moses was the standard bearer. He held the rod that had turned into a snake before Pharoah, the rod that had been held out over the water as it parted for their escape from Pharoah’s army. The rod that brought the life saving water out of the rock in the waterless desert.

Then they got to Rephidim, and the descendants of Esau, the Amalekites attacked them. Once again, all eyes were on Moses. What now?

“Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow, I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.” (Ex. 27:9) So, it was done, the soldiers were chosen and sent, and “Moses , Aaron, and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning.” (vs. 10,11)

Talk about pressure… talk about tired arms…. Imagine the heaviness of everything being affected by your behavior, your holding up the standard….. I might have thrown it down and hoped for the best.

“When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up, one on one side, one on the other, so that his hands remained steady till sunset.” (vs.12)

Moses had the desire, his heart was right, but he needed help in shouldering the responsibility. He needed propping up….a way to rest even in the midst of doing the work of God.

How might we do that for each other? How might we wrap around each other like this brace on my wrist?…supporting and enabling… even encouraging rest, but without being removed from our own battle station?

Lord, help us to answer in obedience to Your call, and report to our post, ready for battle. Even the strongest of us tires, and we need the Aarons and Hurs to come alongside us, to enable us to rest, even as we continue to fight and hold our position. And we need Your Holy Spirit, Who is our Strength in every situation. Thank you…You are so good.