Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Offerings

Offerings… There’s a Christmas song I like, ‘What can I bring Him, poor that I am’….

Voluntary giving something to God …what can I possible give to God? Everything I have comes from His Hand in the first place. Everything in my reality is His. Yet, He has given me dominion over the realm of my life.

What can I possibly add? What God might lack, He could speak into existence just as He spoke into existence every single thing you and I have ever known. What He might want, He could certainly have.

But would it all be worth having?

Again, I marvel at the love of God for me…..and I marvel that the only thing He wants that He can not ‘make’……is my choosing Him over all else.

The blessing of our 36 year marriage has been the freely given commitment to each other. I’ve never forced my husband to stay. I’ve never manipulated circumstances ‘so that’ he will love me. He chooses to do so. And I am secure in that. I daresay he would say the same thing.

God loves us, wants our love in return…but will not force our choice. It grieves Him that some do not choose Him. He is sorrowful that they will suffer because of it, and has gone to great measures to be sure we know WHAT we are choosing when we do not come to Him.

“…tell the people, ‘This is what the Lord says: See, I am setting before you the way of life and the way of death…’ …” (Jer. 21:8)

“ ..I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may life, and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to His Voice, and hold fast to Him. For the Lord is your life….” (Deut. 30:19,20)

“I am the way and the truth and the life…” ( words of Jesus in John 14:6)

Good or evil. Life or death. Those are the only two choices.

“…as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” ( Joshua 24:15)