Thursday, April 15, 2010

Taxes..

Taxes.. This is the day. I have to mail that check today.

Taxes aren’t a new thing. There are stories of taxation all thru scripture. See if you relate to any of these..

“…We have had to borrow money to pay the king’s tax on our fields and vineyards.”(Neh. 5:4)
“..his successor will send out a tax collector to maintain the royal splendor..” (Daniel 11:20)

I sure relate. The stories that go along with those passages are very interesting, too long and complicated for these short writings. You might check them out…the ruler of the Daniel passage was eliminated…poisoned by one of his employees. I won’t say anything else about that !

Joking aside, I confess that I resent writing those checks. I do NOT resent helping those who can not help themselves. I do NOT resent contributing to legitimate needs or to supporting efforts to improve our culture.

“..look after orphans and widows in their distress..” (James 1:27)

“…we should continue to remember the poor..” (Gal. 2:10)

( In my humble opinion, more is spent on tearing down our culture than improving it.)

Scripture teaches that we should work together for the common good. Nothing is just about ‘Me’. At least it shouldn’t be…

“..these…were helping to support them out of their own means.” (Luke 8:3)

I don’t really like this next verse….but I want to be obedient…..

“Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes…(Rom. 13:7)

I argue with God that I owe them. He reminds me, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s…” (Matt. 22:21)

Then I complain to Him that it is NOT theirs, why should I be required to give it to them?! That check represents a lot of MY hard work. And again, He reminds me…“Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to Him than birds.” (Matt. 6:26 The Message)

He reminds me that I have no need unmet…I have MORE than enough.

I wonder that our problems might be far less if everyone adhered to this standard of behavior…

“ If a man will not work, he shall not eat.” (2Th. 3:10)

So…off to work I go.