Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Looked

Looked…. I remember as a child how my daddy could just look at me and I was disciplined…

There was no need for words, I knew what he would be saying had he spoken. And rather than push him into speaking…I’d comply ! It is said that the eyes are the windows of the soul. It is true that the eyes tell so very much.

“ The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.” (Luke 22:61)

Peter was a brave man. He’d lashed out with his sword against armed soldiers, way out numbered.. But he’d go down fighting.. Except that Jesus called him off and even healed the damage he’d managed to do. (I would like to hear that story from Malchus, the guy whose ear Peter cut off and Jesus healed!)

I can only imagine how confused Peter must have been. Jesus had instructed them to take swords. (vs.36) Now he was telling them not to use them.

So often, Peter gets remembered for his failures, and I’m glad they are recorded because I identify with him so much. But let’s not forget how committed and brave he was. He did use the sword he’d been told to take, however misguided he was. He did get out of the boat and walk on the water, even if he did sink moments later. The rest of the crew sat inside the boat and watched.

Peter ran away with the rest of the disciples when Jesus was arrested, but he followed. He saw what was happening. He witnessed it. I’m thankful for that, for I was reading it last night and again moments ago. He followed, still in the confused mindset of all the events that were happening so fast. How terrifying it must have been, and he was ‘sifted like wheat’ as he fell into denying that he even knew Jesus much less was he a follower.

Then Jesus looked at him.

It makes me want to cry to think how Peter felt then. He’d heard the third call of the night moments before. Then the look….

But how precious our Lord is that he made sure Peter knew that this wasn’t a surprise to Him. Jesus made sure that Peter would remember His warning…Jesus had prayed for Peter. “…Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you…that your faith may not fail. And WHEN you have turned back…strengthen your brothers.” (vs.32)

How many times Peter must have gone over those last hours and the last conversations. I hope he never missed the fact that Jesus knew about his failures before he failed…and He knew that Peter would turn back even stronger than ever, to strengthen his brothers…

and his sisters…. Thank You Lord for Peter.