Monday, February 22, 2010

Rest

Rest …I can’t seem to get it sometimes. Oh, I slept last night, I‘ve had two days off, not working today…but still seem to need rest. Why is it I need rest since I’ve been pretty much inactive for 48 hour? Maybe I’m tired from all the resting I’ve done !


I find myself sighing…over and over. And grunting….(shudder!!) Whine, whine, whine….how I detest whiners, and I’m the Queen of Whine sometimes.


I’ve complained to God about it, and seem to get no sympathy. Instead, He seems to be saying ‘ok, let‘s get past this!’ (‘how long will you lie there?’ Pro. 6:9 ‘I tell you, get up…’ Mark 2:11)

and ‘Remember my promises !’ (‘she who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.’ Ps.91:1)

and ‘ I have rest for you, take it!’ ( ‘ come to Me, all you who are weary…I will give you rest…take My yoke .. ’ Matt. 11:28, 29)

and ‘you are ok, so enough already…!” ( ‘Go in the strength you have…Am I not sending you?…I will be with you…’ (Judges 6:14,16)

and ‘keep on keeping’ on’.. ( ‘Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.’ Gal. 6:9)



A primary purpose of The Holy Spirit is to help us remember what God has said. Jesus said He would send the Holy Spirit to “.. teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.’ (John 14:26) He can only remind us of what we have heard Him say, and He still speaks thru scripture as recorded in the Bible. But we have to on purpose find out what He has said. He doesn’t scream it into our lives, forcing us to hear. We have to have an ear to hear Him…and a desire to listen. (‘He that has ears, let him hear’ Matt.11;15)



Then this. “The Soverign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the Word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.” (Isa. 50:4)


So He has spoken…He has brought to my mind many of the things He has said. Perhaps it wasn’t rest I needed after all. Perhaps it was just solitude…and opportunity for Him to speak to some things in my life.


My body is old and tired. It does need rest, God rested (Ge. 2:2) …Jesus rested (John 4:6). But Jesus made sure He had time alone with His Father, ( Matt.14:23, Mark 6:46, Luke 6:12, Luke 9:28) )


I have no excuse for keeping a weary mind…. Not when He ‘will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.’(Jeremiah 31:25