Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Declare

Declare.. I remember my mother and my grandmother often saying ‘Well, I declare!’. I probably say it too. How do we get started saying those kinds of things? What did it mean, and does it still mean the same thing, or do we just mindlessly say something that has absolutely no meaning at all to us? Empty words…


There are no empty words. Every word we utter declares something, tells something about us. Jesus said “..men will have to give account…for every careless word they have spoken.” (Matt. 12:36) I think maybe I talk too much ! Maybe I should think a lot more before I speak. I can’t take those words back like I can on this word-process….can’t look them over and decide to delete them or rephrase them in more loving terms.


“Eventually there is going to be an inspection. …The inspection will be thorough and rigorous…I won’t get by with a thing.” (1 Cor. 3:13 The Message) Everything I say and do should be channeled thru the Truth of Jesus Christ. Whew….that’s a tall order ! I’m thanking God again for His amazing grace and His patience with me as I grow and learn. I am not “wise by the standards of this age..” but want to be “ a fool so that I may become wise”…the “wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight.” (1 Cor. 3:18,19)


“I confess my iniquity, I am troubled by my sin.” (Ps. 38:18) I decide afresh that “I will declare Your Name to my brothers, in the congregation I will praise You.”(Ps.22:22)


There’s a lot of declaring goes on…..even the “heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His Hands. Day after day they pour forth speech, night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world…” (Ps. 19:1-4)



What do you declare today? Better decide…because it WILL be something.