Friday, February 26, 2010

Alone

Alone… Sometimes we feel like we are so alone. Ever feel alone in the midst of a crowded room? People who have lost their mates struggle with the loneliness that follows. Friends can help, but nothing takes the place of a lost spouse. There’s scriptural reasoning for that..

“ The Lord God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.’”(Gen.2:18) Companionship between man and woman was ordained by God. Few there are who, like Paul, are called to remain unmarried. (1 Cor. 7:7-9)



Sometimes, what I feel is not really ‘alone’, but what the KJV Bible calls ‘peculiar’. ( I can almost hear you chuckling…quit it ! )

“Our Savior Jesus Christ…gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.” (Titus 2:13-14)

There you have it…I am peculiar. Sometimes I feel like old Elijah.. ‘I have been working my heart out for the God of the Angel Armies…and the people…have abandoned your covenant…I’m the only one left…’ (quoted from The Message) Elijah was not alone…he whined a little, God listened, and showed him how wrong he was. Read the 19th chapter of 1 Kings for yourself. It will do your heart good.




We are all alone in this way. We alone are responsible for our side of our relationship with God. We do not inherit the faith of our parents like we inherit their blonde hair. We don’t inherit our place in the kingdom of God like we inherit their house when they leave this life. Our relationship with God is up to us. He invites us, woos us, gives us so much help in knowing Him thru scripture…yet it’s ultimately our choice.

His choice is ‘yes’! And He even offers to enable us, getting under our burdens with us, helping us to carry them…even carrying them FOR us,…. teaching us, forgiving us time and time again…cleansing us, re-creating us in His image….perfecting us, showing us His intended purpose for our life, and loving us! He LOVES us. He LOVES you!! Even with all your yuck, He loves you so much.


But..sometimes we choose a definite ‘no thanks’. Then…we are indeed alone.

‘..the Father will give you ..the Comforter..to be with you forever, the Spirit of Truth..’ (John 14:16-17)



I will never be alone. I may be lonely, bored, feel out of place, or even outnumbered…but I will never ever be alone…for He is with me.