Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Glory

Glory…just what does that mean? Webster says it’s brightness and splendor. The word in the original language that is translated ‘glory’ is ‘doxa’. It means honor, praise, dignity…that which reflects, expresses or exhibits dignity.



‘God is not a man…’(Numbers 23:19) He is not like us, no matter how we try to get Him into the box with us, He is not in the box of our reality. He made everything we know…everything IN our reality was simply spoken into existence. ‘By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.; (Psalm 33:6) From the tiniest of cells to the vastness of the galaxies, ‘God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, are clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.’ (Romans 1:20) All we need to do is look around, or look up into the night sky. There is His glory, clearly seen indeed.


No, He doesn’t need me to glorify Him. He has no need. He IS glory, whether I acknowledge it or not. But He wants me to acknowledge Him for Who He is. He wants the best for each of us, He created us ! And He didn’t create us to watch us suffer. Neither do I have anything to offer Him to make Him bigger and better.


He has gone to such great lengths to communicate Himself to me, to show Himself to me so that I might know Him. He came in flesh in the Person of Jesus Christ to communicate His sacrificial love, that love itself glorified, as Jesus’ blood ran down the cross, Him dying instead of me…taking the penalty for what I have done.


I continue to try to grasp the depth of His glory. Paul prayed for me, and for you, that we might ‘grasp how wide and how long and how high and how deep is the love of Christ, to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that we might be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.’ (Ephesians 3:18) It is ME that needs to glorify Him. I am the one lacking, the one with the sin problem, the one who makes wrong choices and bad decisions. He is God. The Perfect One, The I AM.


Glory !!