Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Abomination

Abomination.. I’ve recently heard a play on this word, exchanging an O for the A when someone was making known their political views. We don’t use the word ‘abomination’ much today in ordinary conversation. Those of us who are prone to speak ‘Christianese’ may throw it around a little….


The original word of scripture is ‘toebah’ For any grammar geeks out there, it’s the feminine active participle of ‘taab’ which means to loath, detest, abhor. So basically, abomination is disgusting.


There are a lot of things in scripture that we are told God finds disgusting. Some of them, we quickly agree with Him. “Do not have sexual relations with an animal, it is an abomination” (Lev. 18:22) God said that burning children in the fire to the false god Molech was an abomination to Him. (Deu. 12:31)


Our culture seems to be more and more disagreeing with God about this one… “Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman. That is detestable” (Lev. 18:22) Perhaps we are seeing Romans 1:25-27 coming to pass. “…they changed the truth of God into a lie….for this cause God gave them up to vile affections. For even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature, and likewise, the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another, men with men working that which is unseemly…’

Don’t call me homophobic…God made the rules, not me.


I even found a list.. “…..there are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to Him. Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies, and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.’ (Pro. 6:16-19)


I felt pretty good about myself until I found this… “Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord..” (Pro. 16:5) POW !! How’s that for knocking you off your little pedestal Connie ?!! (My pride is a constant battleground…..I know I’m probably the only one…..right?)



But as always, God is good. He disciplines me, chastises me, takes me down a notch when He needs to…and He always encourages me as well. “By mercy and truth, iniquity is purged… and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.” (Pro.16:6)


I can’t know how He needs to change me until I recognize it in myself. What He says..IS. Period. What He says is absolute truth whether I agree or not. And He is merciful in revealing that truth to me rather than watching me sink deeper into whatever thing it is that needs to be purged.



Lots of things are disgusting to God. But never so disgusting that He can not cleanse and make new. We are never so disgusting that He turns His back. “Today, please listen. Don’t turn a deaf ear…” (Heb. 3:7,8 The Message)