Monday, February 15, 2010

Relationship...

Relationship…that word has popped into conversations from all directions…for days. I’ve been trying to listen this morning, asking God to help me understand more fully.. deeper. Surely He is speaking to me about something specific…


My husband and I discussed relationship at great length a few nights ago. It seems God is dealing with him about relationship stuff too…woke him up in the night, this relationship topic heavy on his mind.


My friend and sister in Christ brought it up again, this time in the Sunday school class she leads. She introduced an illustration that was new to me…a triangle , depicting 3 components in our relationship with God. Covenant, knowledge, and worship.


It keeps coming back to my mind…what does my triangle look like? Balanced on all 3 sides? Or not?

In our covenant with God, we enter into a commitment. He certainly made a more costly commitment…the blood covenant of Jesus Christ. I enter into this covenant on the merit of Jesus’ blood. Not my own. I can’t speak for you, but I am committed to Him. I fail miserably and often, but the intent from the depths of my heart is to be fully committed to Him in every facet of my being, every moment of my day, every word and action…

I’m not happy about everything I find in my heart when I begin to examine it, and examine my commitment. It’s a daily choice. Thankfully, God never has the issues that I struggle with, and He even helps me overcome my own inability to live up to the commitment I make to Him, giving me His Spirit as divine Helper and Comforter… (which makes me love Him even more…and makes me want even more passionately to commit every part of my being in obedience to Him and cooperation with Him).



My knowledge is more than some I guess…definitely not a short side of my triangle. I have studied quite a bit…been churched since….well, I don’t remember NOT being churched ! I like to read, and have read a lot of books. Some deeper than others, but most of what I’ve read is of a spiritual nature. I’m in my 7th year of Bible Study Fellowship…studied the Bible a lot, and know how to use a lot of available resources.

But that’s all book knowledge…head knowledge. Facts. For many years, I didn’t know God. Even though I was thoroughly churched. I knew about God. (scared to death of Him really..) But I didn’t really know HIM.. I had no intimacy with Who He really is, didn’t know His great love for me. ME. The real me. He does love me. And He loves you.



I am learning about worship. I believe my triangle is short on this side. That is what I’m waiting to hear from Him about. He’s begun to speak…just little hints so far…Oh, He doesn’t need my love….doesn’t need my worship. His ego doesn’t need bolstering. He knows full well that He is God. It is me who benefits.

Worship brings me into a deeper intimacy with Him, and I am safe to go there.

And so blessed…