Friday, July 6, 2012

Stop......

My son refers often to some comedy he watches where a doctor of some sort councils with his patients to 'just stop!!' the behavior that causes them to suffer.

It's a simple concept.  If something causes you to be sad or be sick....stop.  Just stop it.

It's not always easy to do, but we do have the option of exercising our will and doing just that...

...stop it.


In John 5:14, in His own way, Jesus says 'stop it'.  A man had been cured from something that must have been the result of some lifestyle or behavior.  Maybe he fell down during a drunken state, maybe it was a sexual disease that caused his illness, who knows. 

What strikes me this morning is that Jesus said 'stop'.  "...Behold, you are made whole. Sin no more lest a worse thing come to you."(John 5:14)

All sickness is not necessarily a result of personal sin. You can read thru the book of Job and clearly see that truth. 

While sickness is not always caused by sin, sin always causes sickness.

You sin, you suffer.  Maybe not immediately.  Maybe not physically. But when we choose to go outside the standard that God has set, we WILL suffer.

From this simple lesson I want to take one thing this morning....

...when Jesus heals me in a certain area, when He makes me whole again in some splintered or shattered area of my life, I want never to repeat that mistake again.