Friday, July 27, 2012

Stoning....

Throwing rocks.  AT a living person. Until they die.  That is what stoning is.

It was the death penalty of Biblical time. (...still practiced in some cultures today)

It just sounds horrible to me.  I can't fathom throwing a rock at somebody, especially with the intentions of it being a death blow. 

The religious leaders'  in John 8 suggested a stoning.  Not because they wanted justice, but because they manipulated the rules for their own purpose.


That old saying about sticks and stones?  It's a lie.  Words hurt and can bring about death. 

So I repent this morning as God shows me my words can be spewed out like stones at some guilty person, not because I'm concerned with justice, but because I too am capable of manipulating the rules for my own purpose. 

Lord, give me a heart like Yours...full of mercy and compassion.  I purpose not to be an executioner of those caught in sin, but an encourager, encouraging  them to leave it behind.