Saturday, July 7, 2012

Empowered....

It seems such a simple thing to just 'stop' doing the thing that we should not be doing. We are told in scripture to ".... throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles..."(Hebrews 12:1)

Even when we have the knowledge of the evil, even when we come to fully understand the reasons God has for saying 'don't' .....it is not a simple thing to just 'stop it'. It is not easy to 'throw off' those sins we are entangled in.

So, are we just in a situation that is hopeless? When we try and try....and fail....do we just resolve ourselves to it?

From the story of John 5:1-15, Jesus demonstrated the answer to humanity's dilemma.

We can't just 'stop it'.

If we could, the simple list of ten rules Moses brought down from the mountain would have been humanity's answer.

We don't have the power within ourselves to stop the cycle of sin that started in The Garden.

It takes the Word of God. It takes Messiah Jesus speaking to us. It takes the Presence of The Holy Spirit of God within.

Jesus asked the invalid man, "Do you want to get well?" (John 5:6)

He still speaks. I echo His question, do you want to be whole?

Do you want to be strengthened, do you want the weakness removed? Do you want to walk on your own power? Do you want to stop depending on the strength of others?

Rather than answer Jesus' question, this man offered Jesus an excuse. Don't we do the same thing?

When He asks me if I want some situation changed, isn't my first response an excuse for being in the situation itself?

As I reflect on this passage, I hear Him say "Connie, if you want things to be different, hear Me....listen for My Voice, and when I speak....get up and walk. Don't wait for someone else to lead the way, don't wait for someone to carry you or lead you by the hand....when I say you can walk, you can walk."



How easily I forget.... What Jesus Christ says, simply IS.

I do well to know what He says, believe what He says, and respond in obedient faith to what He says.

Hallelujah.