Saturday, July 14, 2012

Recognize...

Webster says "To recollect or recover the knowledge of.."

I read (or heard) somewhere once, that you can't know what you don't know.  Duh..

While it is true that we can only know what we know....it is also true that we CAN know MORE than we know.


It may seem that I'm talking in circles or riddles.....but looking at the events of John 6, I see that Jesus' disciples did not 'recognize' Him.  I wonder...how often is it that I too, do not recognize Him?  

Did they not recognize Him because they did not expect Him to show up?

Or did they not recognize Him because He appeared in an unexpected way?

When the circumstances are stormy, am I frightened and unaware that it is Him approaching?

How do I expect Him to show up in my storm?

 And are those expectations broad enough to recognize Him in whatever way He chooses to show Himself to me in the middle of my own storm?

 "....they were terrified. But he said to them, "It is I; don't be afraid."
Then they were willing to take him into the boat..."(John 6:19-21)




 I purpose to know more than I know now....I want to know Jesus so intimately, that in whatever frightful situation I face, I will recognize Him in it, that I will know His Presence even before I see with my eyes or understand with my mind.

How thankful I am that His character and nature is one of love and assurance, that even when I do not recognize Him, He calls out to me at just the right moment, comes on board with me in my situation, and comforts me with His Presence.

Hallelujah.