Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Division...

"...So there was a division among the people because of Him." (John 7:43)

Jesus admonished us to seek unity.

His whole purpose in becoming a human was to bring about a restored relationship with our Creator God.

Yet when He is present, there is a schism.   A divided sentiment.  Divisions in the way people respond....

Jesus never promised superficial harmony.  In fact, He warned us of the opposite. 

"Don't think I've come to make life cozy...... Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies....If you don't go all the way with me, through thick and thin, you don't deserve me. If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me. (Matt. 10:34-39 The Message)



When I was 12, I recieved a Bible with my name stamped on the front in gold lettering.  There was a poem printed on cardstock in it that I used for a bookmarker.  It is the only poem I can remember much of and I had lost it somehow, somewhere down thru the years.  (....Google can find ANYthing...)

The poem used the word schism.

I had not heard that word and it was hard t find a definition for it. (...didn't have Google then...)

I still have that Bible with it's notes in the margins.  Notes taken from sermons, notes copied from other people...very little notes from sitting alone myself at Jesus' feet with that Bible opened. I had the information drilled into my head....much of it with a certain doctrinal twist.  (...schism...)



That strange word, 'schism' has always stuck with me...and that Bible has become more than ink on a page. I do not tire of the message written within...and I pour over it prayerfully that no preconcieved doctrinal slant (schism) cloud my vision or dull my hearing. 

I want nothing to bring about any division in my heart regarding Jesus.
I purpose to seek Him with a completely undivided heart. 


He has promised that when I do that....He will be found.  (Jer. 29:13)


My Bible And I

We've travelled together,
My Bible and I,
Through all kinds of weather,
With smile or with sigh!
In sorrow or sunshine,
In tempest or calm!
Thy friendship unchanging,
My lamp and my psalm.

We've travelled together,
My Bible and I,
When life has grown weary,
And death e'en was nigh!
But all through the darkness
Of mist or of wrong,
I found there a solace,
A prayer and a song.

So now who shall part us,
My Bible and I?
Shall "isms" or "schisms"
Or "new lights" who try?
Shall shadow for substance,
Or stone for good bread,
Supplant thy sound wisdom,
Give folly instead?

Ah, no, my dear Bible,
Exponent of light!
Thou sword of the spirit,
Put error to flight!
And still through life's journey,
Until my last sigh,
We'll travel together,
My Bible and I.