Thursday, July 5, 2012

Accomplishment...

"....whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had." (John 5:4)

The word 'after' in the verse above has to do with an accomplishment.

 The passage talks about a pool of water that occasionally had a 'stirring'...thought to be done by angels.  The phrase about the angels is thought to be a quotation, but even if it is not....even if the water was literally stirred by angels, this thought strikes me....you had to be first.

 You had to accomplish some accomplishment, be the best, the fastest, get there first.

 If you failed, you had to try harder. And harder. 

It was up to you.




As I begin study of John 5, I am thanking God that it is not up to me.

There is not one single thing I can accomplish to get myself cleansed.

 It's not a competition.  It's not about do more, try harder. I don't have to be 'first'. It is simply about Jesus.  He comes to us.

....and when He does, we must offer no excuses...

We must simply trust what He says, and make active steps of obedience.