Friday, July 13, 2012

Force...

Jesus could have forced anything He chose.

He could have forced the crowd to leave Him alone to rest. But He chose to calm them, difuse the situation, and feed their bellies.

He did force His disciples into a boat and onto the Sea of Galilee at night.  He told them to go to Bathsaida, and He went back up the hill for the quiet time with God that He had wanted before the interruption of the crowd.

After such compelling instructions, the disciples did as they were told.  Well, maybe...scripture says they set off for Capernaum.  (John 6:17) The two cities are near each other.  Maybe close is good enough....  ?

As I read thru all the gospel accounts of this event, I see that Jesus sent them off, didn't go with them, but saw them from where He was.  "He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them...."(Mark 6:48)

Were the disciples rowing hard in the wrong direction, not headed exactly where they were sent?


I can't know, either way.  But I realize from pondering on this story,  that when I am not in complete obedience to God's instructions, very often I find myself straining against a strong and forceful wind in my own life.

Perhaps the wind was sent to maneuver them back on track in the right direction.  Perhaps not.
Does He send a force of 'wind' to encourage me to stop going in the wrong direction?  I think so.

I know this... My will is mine. God can and will not force me. My choices are mine to make.

But I do well to accept the truth that He is always, always, always right. Whether I like it, agree with it, or understand it....He is right.

I purpose in my heart to go exactly where He instructs, exactly when.....and know that He is watching, always aware of my situation, and will show up at exactly the right time.

He is always, and ONLY, good.














(Mark 6:44-51)