Friday, February 4, 2011

Image....

Image….... “Do not set up an image for yourself..”

That is a directive from The Creator God recorded in Leviticus 26:1.

At one time, I thought I had that command aced. You’ll find no ‘graven images’ in my house. I don’t have ‘idols’….never ‘bow down and worship’ them.

Then He began speaking into my life and addressing my images. There were lots of them as it turned out….my own image being set up quite high.

I deal with image every day. Creating images is my job. Changing images, altering them, enhancing them. Yep….it’s what I do. Pays my bills.

There is nothing wrong with creating a better self image. In fact, I think God intends for us to care about how we look, to ourselves….and the image we project to other people.

But I wonder if the image I often see projected is indeed what it ’looks’ like it is. Some young women look like they might be paid regularly for some very personal services. I wonder if they are anything at all like what they ’look’ like.

Makes me pause to consider….what do I ‘look’ like? Am I what I ‘look’ like?

On the flip side of that, is the image I project what I really am? Or do I too ‘look’ like something I am not?

I’ve come to the realization that it doesn’t matter what I look like on the outside if the inside is marred. And marred it is. With sin. Thank You Lord Jesus for removing that stain and taking the consequence of it.

And thank You Creator God most of all, for changing me into the image of Your dear Son. (Romans 8:29)

I continue to be a work in progress.