Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ache...

Ache… Ever have an ache that you just can’t describe? Not exactly pain…not exactly pressure…not exactly soreness…. But very uncomfortable….

My chest aches. Relax, it’s not my heart. Twice I’ve been thru the ER and all those tests to make sure.

It’s not a cough. It’s not heartburn. It’s not indigestion.

They just call it anxiety. (….whatever THAT is !)

So, I try to ignore it. Find something to occupy my mind….some activity. Sleep and hope it’s gone when I wake up…

This ache makes me think about that ‘God-sized hole’ that is in every human heart. Nothing can fill that space but Him. We try to fill it with ‘stuff’. We try all sorts of distractions so that we don’t think about it or feel it.

Nothing works really. We are deceived for a while. A new car. A new dress. A new person. The emptiness returns. The ache…..

We were created by a Creator Who designed us for a perfect world. We ache for it.

We were Created by an Eternal Being Who created us for eternal fellowship. We search for it.

All over our world, in every kingdom of man, the quest rages. Efforts to find perfection, fix what has gone terribly wrong with our world. Wars rage as we search for peace.



Ache…. We ache for something we can’t describe because it is completely other than we are. It does not exist within us. It will not be found any place.

We prolong and even intensify our ache by our own tendency to choose the knowledge of evil rather than trust that He is always good and only good.



“He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.
He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight.
He covers the face of the full moon, spreading his clouds over it.
He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness.
The pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at his rebuke.
By his power he churned up the sea; by his wisdom he cut Rahab to pieces.
By his breath the skies became fair; his hand pierced the gliding serpent……

And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him!
……Who then can understand the thunder of his power? (Job 26:7-14 )




Oh how I ache to understand and know Him more. One day….I will.

“Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1Cor. 13:12)