Monday, February 28, 2011

Pastoring....

Pastoring… according to a spiritual gift questionaire….that’s me.

From my particular religious heritage, I immediately think ‘preacher’. But is it…?


“….he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers….” (Eph. 4:11-12 )

‘Pastor’ is the Hebrew word ‘raah’. It is a verb. It means to tend, to feed, to be a special friend.

‘Poimen’ is the Greek word. It is a noun. It is the one who tends and cares for.

There is relationship involved in this thing called pastoring. It isn’t just a matter of throwing out a bale of hay, or strewing some corn. Neither is it a matter of preaching.

If in fact this is an enablement I have been given, I am commissioned to use it….

I am to ‘go’. We all are. (Matthew 16:15)

It is our purpose to make disciples. With whatever He has provided to each of us, whatever He has gifted to every believer, we are to use in kingdom building.


“….to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up…” (Eph. 4:12)


Now….the next time I start preachin’…… ?? ….. you know why… J