Monday, January 17, 2011

Whole....

Whole… Webster says it means ‘all’. Not part, but the entire.

We are instructed to put on the ‘whole armor’ of God. (Eph. 6:11ff)


‘Panoply’ in classical Greek, is the full armor of a heavy-armed soldier. It is the word that is used by Paul here in his letter to the Ephesian Christians, teaching them truths about spiritual battles.

You can be assured that you are in spiritual battles. If you aren’t aware of a struggle, perhaps you’ve just surrendered. ???

Every choice, every decision, every attitude, every action…all have spiritual implications.

This morning, once again I am brought to this armor of God. He asks me which of these I have decided not to put on today. What part of the armor have I decided I don’t need?

Are the things that I complain about a result of not being properly protected? Am I intentionally putting on what He gives and USING it?


"God is strong, and he wants me strong. So I must take everything the Master has set out for me, well-made weapons of the best materials. And I must put them to use so I will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws my way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that I'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels. I will be prepared, I’m up against far more than I can handle on my own. I will take all the help I can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting I'll still be on my feet." (Ephesians 6:10-13 The Message, personalized by me)


I purpose to inventory my armor, beginning as Paul did, with truth.

“Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist” (v.14)

Do I have that belt buckled on me? Is it encompassing me? All the way, my entire life, all situations, all realms? Is it HIS truth? Or my version of it? All of it, or just part.

Whole?

Part of truth is not sufficient. I must accept all of God’s revealed truth. And I must put that truth to use.

And, I must recognize what is truth about myself. It is often not pretty, it is always difficult.

Yet it is always safe to do so, with my Savior, the Lord of my life.