Saturday, February 5, 2011

Conformed...

Conformed...Scripture says I am being conformed, and it says I am not to be conformed…

So....Conform? Or not?

“For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romand 8:29)

I like the plain language of this passage from The Message. “ God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him”


Conformed = summorphos in the original language of scripture. It is a combination of ‘sun’ which gives a meaning of being soon, and ‘morphe’ which carries the idea of adjustment to shape and nature.

So…I’m being conformed. To become like Jesus Christ.

Then there’s this don’t thing….

“…be not conformed to this world..” (Romans 12:2)

For a very long time I thought it was up to me. I was to change and adjust my shape and nature. I was to become like Jesus. And I failed miserably.

Then, God changed the way I think. After exhausting myself in behavior modification and religious activity, screaming out to God “I can’t do this!!”…… He made my spirit to hear Him say….

“I know Child…. But I can.”

It is a work in progress.