Thursday, August 30, 2012

Consecrate...

It's not a word we use much in our day.  Webster says it is to declare and appropriate to sacred use. The Hebrew word scholars translate as 'consecrate' meant 'to observe as holy and to keep as sacred'.


The Bible speaks of consecration a lot.  There were rituals. Deliberate acts. Ceremonies.  A lot of trouble maybe, but it seemed to draw the heart and mind to the purpose.  Or should have....

So I ask myself this morning, what about me is consecrated?  If I am consecrated, to what am I consecrated?  One thing, or several?  Am I consecrated to 'ME'? Am I completely consecrated, or just a portion?  Is it a process or an event? Can I do this thing called consecration?

Questions.........


"Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the LORD your God."(Lev. 20:7)

The instruction is clear. I am to purpose myself, to 'set myself apart'.
I am to take some sort of action that creates a sacredness or holiness.
My heart and mind should be purposed in this thing of consecration, as well as my actions.



So, what can I do?  I know that I can not muster up perfect holiness.  I have the same sin problem all humans have. (Romans 3:23) Do I just throw up my hands and throw in the towel?

Questions...........




In the temple worship system, there were vessels that were used for various things.  These vessels were 'consecrated'.  The inside of the vessel was cleansed. 

And so was the outside.

The inside of me, my 'vessel', has been cleansed by the blood of The Perfect Lamb of God. He has done it.  "It is finished."  My vessel IS holy.  Not because of any action on my part, but simply because I accepted His cleansing OF it.

 The outside of my vessel must be clean as well. I must purpose to remove what contaminates.

 My will is forever mine.  If I choose to hang onto sinful behavior, God will not over-rule my choice. But I will suffer the consequences and answer to His justice. He IS holy. Perfect and holy in every way.

If I choose to remain in wrong behavior, behavior that contaminates and is counter productive to consecration, has there really been any real conviction and turning away from a wrong path?
Questions.....

I can't be 'set apart to keep sacred' and my vessel be used in the same wrong ways all at the same time can I?

Questions........


Amid the questions I find assurance and encouragement this morning ...

First, from the words of an old hymn...



Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

Again from the words of Jesus...amid the dilemma of my nature, I find assurance and encouragement....
 

"Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" Immediately he was cured..." (Matt.8:3)

He is willing to make me clean.


I have come to the personal conclusion that my consecration is a daily, moment by moment thing.
I choose. Not perfectly. Sometimes my choices are poor. And when they are, I purpose to WANT to choose better. I never want to be satisfied and comfortable in my sin. I want my will and His to be the same....

As I thank Him this morning for His grace manifested in my salvation, I purpose  to cooperate with Him, consecrating every aspect of my life........ to Him.